Scrap-Bee-Licious ♥ September Queen


What? Me? In my first bee? Say it isn't so! Now, most of you might be thinking this is coming out of nowhere - it is! Our bee started last month, but I just haven't been blogging anything that's been going on :( I'll be catching up this month though, from old blog hop comments I haven't left to responding to comments here - it is still going to happen! Just super late! (Honestly, my heath has been a real barrier for me this past month, but that's a post for another day) If, instead, however, you're wondering why I was first on the bee list, it's because I got an email notification, read the words "blog hop" and "scrap bee" and ran to the computer to send my email confirmation. :| Um, needless to say, I'm excited!! Bees seem like so much fun, and I've been slightly hesitant to join one since it's all new to me. I don't really want to risk disappointing anyone, you know? Well, a bee of mostly newer bee members and a lot of people with a forgiving nature seem to be in this one, so I think it'll all be ok ♥

So, now, then. The block! I did think about this, but honestly not very hard. I could've gone with a new block for a totally new quilt, but I have to be that person that knows you've all made this before and so it's a safe bet...for a quilt I already have in progress and don't know when I would have the stash to finish...



Yes, the Scrappy Trip Along!! No additions, changes, or adulterations, just the original thing ♥

Hey, I know everyone'll know how to make it, and it's the type of quilt so suited for multiple people's stashes! No rules on fabrics really, but I did want to share how I sort of compose my fabric choices for each block so you can sort of see how my creative process has been working on this quilt so far. That might help guide your choices a little bit!

I have a sort of silly habit of wanting "themes" for all my blocks. I do this fairly often, actually, although usually I think that it's subtle enough that no one notices but me, ha :) So far, I've done one of all one fabric line (Posy), one cool-colored florals with a pop of orange, I have eclectic, modern brights, a sort of picnicy thing, old fashioned florals and...uhh...well the last one doesn't really have a theme I guess haha. European holiday? Anyway, for me it sort of adds a layer of fun to selecting fabrics; not only should they coordinate but also if they fit the theme that's like bonus points!



I think this mosaic gives a good sample of the fabrics I've used so far, the feel I'm getting from it, and a good overall sense of my fabric taste! I tend not to use too many super dark fabrics, or too many solids. I don't usually go for traditional types of fabrics, either. Besides that, just have fun and if you want, include some sort of theme. I'm planning on doing an all-pink block soon, and probably another nature/woodsy one. I wanted this quilt to be sort of commemorative of my stash, and now a little bit of yours, too! I'll probably end up adding a few more blocks to it from my stash after the end of the month, since it's grown a bit since the last time I made some of these, and have a really giant, awesome, scrap-bee quilt ♥♥

Since I know I've been a bit vague about fabric choices & whatnot, if you have any questions or concerns or anything, please feel free to let me know! I'm usually around, even though I haven't been posting recently (again, I will be posting an August-Recap at some point. I can't believe it's been a full month, my goodness). I can't wait to see what you guys put together, oh my gosh!! ♥

18 comments:

  1. Yay, I absolutely love this block and can't wait to put some fun fabrics together!
    Nicole @ modern handcraft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it!! I hated them at first but as I got better at them I enjoyed them a lot more, ha :) I can't wait to see what you do!!

      Delete
  2. I am already thinking through blocks that will work :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy, that's the most fun, too :) I'm almost upset it's my month, I have no blocks to create for anyone! I'll be doing a few myself, but it's just not the same...

      Delete
  3. Believe it or not, I have never made this block, although it's on the never-ending list. So many fabric choices - this may take a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, really? I'm so surprised! It was actually the first block I ever tried to put together, ha. It seems like everyone whose blog I've visited or anything has a scrappy trip project in the works! Too much fun to ignore, I guess :) I hope you have fun making it though - they are slightly addicting...

      Delete
  4. Well you're in luck! I'm part of the Scrappy Trip Around the world bee on flickr and haven't made my blocks for round 2 yet....so 2 more to add to the list! I was planning on making them this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyyy, perfect timing! At least you can get em all out of the way at once :)

      Delete
  5. Adding to a WIP is a great idea Gwendellyn! Can't wait to see what your bee mates make for you!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of time to start other quilts; figured I should be a little bit responsible this time :D Plus, I just keep dreaming of this king size scrappy trip that I can always feel comfy wrapped up in - and then I think of the months of work haha! I like this way much better :)

      Delete
  6. Your blocks look great. I'm making a Scrappy Trip at the moment and wish I could call on some folks to make the blocks for me - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I'm excited to make some new ones with my new stash acquisitions :) Next Bee I'm in, I'm sure I'll choose a really frivolous quilt to make, but I like knowing that this big quilt will be finished so much quicker haha!

      Delete
  7. Yay! Love this block! Thanks for giving me an excuse to make more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my pleasure! I was so worried everyone would be So Over this block haha :)

      Delete
  8. Loving these.....they are so pretty. The middle top one's my favourite. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else makes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) That one's one of my fave's for sure; I like the old fashioned florals too, it's the granny in me :D More tacky flowers, more!!

      Delete
  9. I love the "themes" assignment. I like to think a little too hard about things too. :) Plenty of pink--I hope I can do it! (Pink is one I don't seem to stash? So we'll see what I can dig up!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gwendellyn will you do me a favor and measure your blocks for me? I trimmed tiny hairs off of mine yesterday to take them down to 12" unfinished but I just reread the tutorial and think that the blocks are supposed to be 12.5" unfinished?! Mine, before trimming, were like 12-1/8" so I gleefully assumed 12" was correct. Now I'm not sure. They are easy blocks to remake if needed :)

    ReplyDelete